Australia stands proud among the list of preferred study destinations by Indian students, with eight globally ranked universities. Perth is the most-picked city in Australia, followed by Brisbane, Melbourne, Adelaide, and Sydney. The provision of world-class education, sophisticated technology and culture, better paying job opportunities, etc., has led to Australia's spectacular position.
Why Study in Australia as an Indian Student?
Every student is picky when choosing their course, especially if it involves relocating to a completely different country. Each student has a different reason for choosing Australia as their study destination. A few of them would be:
First-rate education guaranteed: Australia is the “pick of the bunch”, especially owing to the quality of education. It is a notable fact that out of the 100 best universities in the world, eight are from Australia, according to the QS World University Rankings 2022. Also, Australia provides several courses and programs to find at least one that fits your taste.
Ample career opportunities: Australia has comparatively simpler work visa procedures for graduates. It allows you to work for 20 hours during your semester and as a full-time worker during your semester breaks. This helps you gain some extra dollars. The visa authorities will never restrict you from exploring part-time or full-time work opportunities.
Cut down the expenses: When you compare Australia to other countries like the USA and UK, you will find that tuition fees and living expenses are quite low. Also, a wide array of scholarships await you there. Taking the University of Queensland into consideration, you will find that they offer several prestigious scholarships like the UQ High Achievers Scholarship for Indian students
Country of diversity: Australia is a country of diversity. You will find people from all languages and cultures there, which helps you explore new things and makes you less homesick. Over 200 languages are being spoken in Australia, and the area of New South Wales will help you find around a lakh people of Indian descent.
Globally Recognised qualifications: Australia is the 3rd most preferred study destination globally and saw more than 1,00,000 International students in the first few months of 2022. Your certificate from an Australian university has a good global reputation because it is distinguished by the Australian Qualifications Framework (AQF).
Unique teaching and learning process: Australia's teaching process is a bit different from the one that the other countries follow. They give more space to critical thinking, and the learning system goes at a pace. It does not make you swallow everything by heart.
International students’ rights: None can surpass Australia when it comes to giving rights and freedom to people. The Australian Education Services for Overseas Students (ESOS) Act 2000 ensures that international students' study programs meet strict government standards
Career-focused education: The Australian education system is more career-oriented. They provide both long term and short term study programs, the syllabus of which also includes certain skills. Apart from that, those like the University of Queensland allow students to shift from one course to another.
Research-oriented programs: Australia provides great importance to research and has several universities that led to the development of several notable inventions. For instance, the University of Queensland was the only university that was asked to develop a vaccine for the COVID-19 pandemic.
The beautiful landscape: Australia is one place gifted with a beautiful landscape and bustling, developed cities. If you are a fan of nature trips and adventures, you can visit the Great Barrier Reef, Bondi Beach etc. On the other hand, a visit to the Sydney Harbour Bridge, Sydney Opera House etc., will help you enjoy sophisticated Australia.
What are the Best Courses to Study in Australia?
- Accounting: As is the case with India, accounting is slowly gaining importance in Australia. The number of students pursuing core accountancy and professional accountancy is increasing, and it has a good scope in the country.
- Architecture: The importance of architecture has increased over the years. It has especially been so in the case of Landscape Architecture, as landscape architects are currently in high demand in Australia.
- Actuarial Science: This discipline assesses the financial risks in insurance, finance, and other related sectors by combining mathematics, statistics, finance, computer science, and economics.
- Agricultural Sciences: Now, this is a course that Australia prefers. It covers agronomists, forestry consultants, agricultural consultants, and agricultural scientists. You can shift to Australia without a degree if you have relevant work experience. Nonetheless, an Australian degree would be given preference in the Australian job market.
- Engineering: The engineering field is vital in Australia, as in India. Yet, core and biomedical engineering subfields are in high demand there.
- Earth Sciences: Australia has an abundance of uranium, natural gas, and coal; and hence holds a high reputation in mining metallurgy. Geologists and geoscientists are in demand in Australia.
- Tourism & Hospitality Management: Australia is a dreamland for everyone worldwide. The picturesque landscape attracts a whole lot of tourists, which explains the demand of tourism and hospitality management courses in Australia.
- Computer Science & IT: These two disciplines enjoy considerable relevance in almost all parts of the world. Business Intelligence, Machine Learning, Data Visualization, Data Management etc., are a few fields of considerable interest in Australia.
- Psychology: The field of psychology has shown a striking increase in the current years, and this trend has positively affected Australia. The discipline is attracting more and more popularity.
- Nursing: Nursing is an oft-chosen course in Australia. However, those who choose their graduation in nursing outnumber those who take it for their diploma and master's.
What are the Requirements to Study in Australia?
- Diploma Programs: Apart from a minimum of 60% in grade 12, you will need a score of at least 5.5 in IELTS. The TOEFL internet score should be 55, and the PTE score should be between 42 and 49. Remember that these tests should be taken not more than two years before your course commencement.
- Bachelor’s Programs: To do a Bachelor’s degree in Australia, you require at least 65% in your grade 12. In addition, the IELTS score should be at least 6.0, the TOEFL score should be 65, and the PTE score should be between 50 and 57.
- Master’s Programs: A 3-year degree from a recognised university is enough for most universities. However, specific courses and universities demand a qualification equivalent to an Australian Bachelor’s degree. The IELTS, TOEFL, and PTE scores should be 6.5, 79, and 58-64, respectively.
- Doctoral Programs: A three to four year Bachelor’s degree and a two year Master’s degree are essential for doing a Doctoral degree in Australia. Added to it, a minimum IELTS score of 6.5 is also required.
What are the Entrance Exam to Study in Australia?
- IELTS: A candidate needs to take the International English Language Testing System (IELTS) test to gain admission to any university in Australia. This tests the English language skills and has four components: reading, writing, listening, and speaking. The test should be completed within 2 hours and 45 minutes with a minimum score of 6 or 6.5.
- TOEFL: The Test Of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL) can be taken in two forms; paper-based (PBT) or internet-based (iBT). An iBT score of at least 79 or a PBT score of at least 550 will be required to be accepted into an Australian university.
- PTE: The Pearson Test of English (PTE) is yet another test that checks the English proficiency of a student. You should have a minimum score of 50 in this three-hour-long test to get admission into an Australian university.
- CAE: The Cambridge English: Advanced (CAE) test is organised by Cambridge University and is recognised by universities all over Australia. You should have a minimum score of 180 on this three-hour test.
How to get an Australian Student Visa from India?
The Australian student visa allows you to live, study, and work in Australia for five years. You can work 40 hours fortnightly during your course and unlimited hours during your semester breaks. Also, you need not wait until your class commences to start working. The basic requirements for an Australian visa are
- A letter of offer from your university.
- Confirmation of Enrolment (CoE).
- Proof of English language proficiency (IELTS, TOEFL, PTE).
- Genuine Temporary Entrant (GTE) statement.
- Proof of sufficient funds in the native bank.
- Overseas Student Health Cover (OSHC).
- Clean criminal record.
- Good medical record.